Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
A Practical Introduction to Geological Interpretation of 3D Seismic Data - training course
This course raises the quality of geological thinking using the medium of 3D seismic data. It enables seismic interpreters to improve their seismic interpretation skills through a better understanding of the nature and limitations of seismic data. It describes modern techniques for eliciting structural and stratigraphic information from those such and includes many examples of seismic data in a variety of geologic settings.
This is a five-day classroom course with lecture sessions that will include many real data examples supplemented by hands-on practical exercises working with paper seismic sections.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Graduate-level geophysicists and more experienced subsurface professionals from other disciplines (geology, reservoir engineering) who require of a working knowledge of seismic interpretation techniques.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Participants will learn to:
- Analyse seismic data quality to ascertain what reliability of interpretation is possible, accounting for issues of resolution, positioning errors, multiples and imaging artefacts.
- Employ modern techniques for structural and stratigraphic interpretation of 3D seismic data which honour geological principles.
- Verify the bandwidth and phase of a seismic dataset and illustrate their implications for interpretation and well calibration.
- Determine which seismic events to map by identification of key surfaces and packages.
- Use seismic facies analysis to extract information about depositional processes.
- Reconstruct geological history and establish the presence of unconformities.
- Distinguish between a variety of geological settings as exhibited on in 3D seismic.
- Question what image problems may result from complex structure.
- Examine seismic data to identify potential direct hydrocarbon indicators (DHIs) and fluid contacts.
Training Course Content
This course is designed to be a practical introduction to the interpretation of 3D seismic data using sound geologic principles and includes many real data examples to illustrate the principles of seismic interpretation.
Day 1: Introduction
- Benefits of 3D over 2D seismic
- Basics of the volume:
- Resolution and bandwidth
- Imaging issues, multiples, illumination
- Positioning, pull-up/push-down
- Assessing data quality, noise, processing artefacts
- Phase and well calibration
- Practical interpretation advice:
- Optimizing display settings, scales, colour bar
- Importance of integration
- Be holistic
- Think packages!
Day 2: Stratigraphic methods
- Mapping stratigraphy
- Correlation of single events
- Identification of key surfaces
- Mapping issues
- Seismic facies analysis
- Depositional processes indicated in seismic
Day 3: Reconstructing past geological history and structural evolution
- Significance of unconformities
- Structural Interpretation
- Extensional fault systems
- Geometry and timing, growth packages
- Links to depositional history
- Deepwater thrust and fold belts
- Interactions between sedimentation and tectonics
- Imaging problems due to complex structure
Day 4: Structural Evolution contd.
- Wrench fault systems
- Detection and analysis
- Salt basins
- Structural analysis of reservoirs
3D seismic interpretation Case Studies
- Catalogue of other geologic features seen in 3D data
- Fluids and DHIs
- Diagenesis on seismic data
Day 5: Case Studies cont’d
- Seals: using 3D to improve risking methodology
- Final messages and review / questions
The cost of this training course is GBP 3215 per delegate.
Nautilus can also deliver this training course on an in-house basis, helping your staff achieve their professional development goals. With a customised, In-House Training solution, you can tailor the course content to individual company requirements by incorporating your data, your software, or specific case studies.
Over the past 17 years Nautilus has developed a portfolio of world-class training courses for professionals in the energy industry. Acquired by the RPS Group in March 2011, Nautilus is now part of the Energy division of RPS. Starting from six...