All course materials will be delivered to you by post, so it couldn't be easier. Our experienced and friendly tutors will help you every step of the way by email. You can work at your own pace. Completed coursework can be delivered by post or via email, so handing in an assignment is simple.
Unit 1 Introduction to Genealogy and The History of Surnames
- What does genealogy mean?
- Why research a family tree?
- Genealogy - hobby or profession?
- What is an ancestor?
- DNA tracing
- Different types of family tree
- Figuring out relationships
- Knowing your family relationships
- The history of surnames
- Why research a surname?
Unit 2 Using Birth, Marriage and Death Records and The Census
- The history of birth, marriage and death records
- Looking at different records
- Other useful certificates
- Using certificates effectively
- Introduction to the Census
- The genealogist and Census research
Unit 3 War/Prison/Immigration Records
- Using war records
- The Royal Navy and Marines
- The British Army
- The Royal Air Force
- The war dead
- Foreign forces
- Searching prison records
- Researching police records
- Using immigration records
Unit 4 Using Workhouse Records and Tracing Noble Ancestry
- The history of workhouses in Britain
- How to use workhouse records for a genealogy search
- Tracing noble ancestry in your family tree
- How to search your own family’s heraldry trail
- Tracing your royal connections
Unit 5 Other Resources Available: Wills, Newspapers and Research Centres
- Using wills and administration
- What if my ancestor did not make a will?
- Using newspapers to research your family tree
- Using research centres
- Global searching for family records
Unit 6 Recording Your Findings and Compiling A Family Tree
- Organising your family tree
- Templates for compiling your family tree
- Genealogy computer programmes
- Recording your own family in film or audio clips
- The importance of your family tree and genealogy research
- Reflecting on your genealogy work
- Course conclusion
Why choose Open Study College
Trusted by over 110,000 students
Study from home, at your own pace
Discounts on selected courses
Pay Now: GBP 389.00
OR 6 Monthly Instalments of GBP 73.35 with a deposit of GBP
48.90 totalling 489