PGCert Clinical Bioinformatics (Online course)The University of Manchester
PGCert Clinical Bioinformatics (Online course)
All available course dates
PGCert Clinical Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics provides an important bridge between cutting edge science and the delivery of genomic medicine in clinical practice.
Demand for genetic testing and, therefore, clinical bioinformatics is increasing globally all the time, but there is a severe shortage of bioinformaticians able to analyse clinical genomic data.
Our fully-online PGCert is a practical, clinically-focused course aimed at providing the necessary skills to produce high quality bioinformatic workflows to analyse and interpret clinical genomic data.
You will be taught by a team that has successfully delivered the Clinical Bioinformatics Scientist Training Programme and has several years' experience training clinical bioinformaticians for the NHS.
The course is structured to include real-world clinical case studies and will focus on providing the necessary bioinformatic skills to produce bioinformatics workflows to analyse clinical genomic data.
Suitability - Who should attend?
We require an honours degree (minimum Upper Second) or overseas equivalent :
- computing sciences subject
with sufficient evidence of the relevant units taken. We may also consider exceptional applicants with a Lower Second if you have research experience or equivalent professional experience.
International students must demonstrate English proficiency through a secure and approved testing system.
We ask for English language proof if you are from non-majority English speaking countries
Specifically, we require a minimum of:
- IELTS - minimum 6.5 overall with 6.0 in writing
- TOEFL: 575 paper-based
- TOEFL: 230 computer-based (with a minimum score in the Test of Written English of 6.0)
- TOEFL: 90 internet-based (with a minimum score of 22 in each component)
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for a range of healthcare professionals including bioscientists, clinicians, computer scientists, informaticians, clinical scientists. This course is designed to develop your knowledge in this new field and enhance your career.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
PG Cert Part Time
You will learn how to:
- understand the theory and practice of clinical bioinformatics;
- develop a critical understanding of how data is generated by clinical genomic laboratories;
- use this information and how it can be logically and systematically employed to deliver effective clinical management of genetic conditions;
- contribute to innovation, change and service developments in clinical science at both the laboratory and institutional levels.
The course will give you:
- knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of clinical bioinformatics;
- a critical understanding of how data generated by clinical genomic laboratories is used to develop a clinical diagnosis, and how this information can be logically and systematically employed to deliver effective clinical management of genetic conditions;
- contribute to innovation, change and service developments in clinical science at both the laboratory and institutional levels by giving you a systematic and critical understanding of relevant knowledge, theoretical frameworks and advanced skills;
- enhanced career-long development to support and enhance best practice in clinical bioinformatics.
Training Course Content
- Introduction to clinical bioinformatics
- Introduction to health informatics
- Introduction to programming
- Introduction to next-generation sequencing
Course delivery details
- This course is delivered entirely via blended-learning, which is fully online, including assessment.
- Our online course is designed to fit around your existing commitments and lifestyle.
Please visit our website for detailed pricing information.
Many of our students studying related programmes have continued to pursue careers in clinical laboratories, clinical research and also pursued academic research careers and industry-focused careers.
The University of Manchester
Part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, The University of Manchester is recognized across the globe for its research and teaching quality, covering undergraduate and postgraduates programs, as well as specially designed online and blended learning courses to allow...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!