Where can i do a Teaching Assistant NVQ? - Forum

05/03/2014 10:30   Jen

Does anyone know of any providers that offer the Teaching Assistant NVQ as a classroom course?

I really want to get qualified and start working but can't find out where to do the course...

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Jen, Surrey

RE: Where can i do a Teaching Assistant NVQ?
03/04/2014 16:33   Findcourses.co.uk

Hi Jen,

thanks for your question! I think this will interest a lot of people as we are continuing to see high levels of interest in Teaching Assistant qualifications from our users.

First things first: as explained in our qualifications guide, you will see that, with the introduction of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) in the UK, NVQs have actually more or less been entirely replaced with Awards, Certificates & Diplomas. A lot of people still refer to the qualifications as NVQs, which can make it a bit confusing, but actually the main qualifications that you can get as a teaching assistant are now called:

• Level 2 Award/Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
  • Level 3 Award/Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools

The two main awarding bodies are CACHE and NCFE.

As far as finding a training provider that offers them: it is becoming more and more popular for these qualifications to be delivered online rather than as classroom courses. This is because, generally speaking, people find it easier to balance study with other commitments when they have the flexibility of studying when and where they want.

For the Level 2 qualifications and the Level 3 Award, assessment is usually via a portfolio of assigments that you compile throughout the course and then submit once you are finished, so it can very easily be done online. With the Level 3 Certificate, however, you are typically required to complete some work-based assignments. That's no problem if you are already employed, but otherwise you will probably need to find a placement (whether voluntary or paid) in a local school.
This is what makes a lot of students look for a classroom course in their local area, but the truth is that even distance learning providers tend to have extensive networks and contacts with schools across the country. So nine times out of ten, they can easily help you find a suitable position even if they deliver trainin online, and regardless of where their offices are based.

Take a look at our Teaching Assistant Training category - you will definitely find something that suits!

Best of luck,

Findcourses.co.uk

Find training and courses within this category

LOOKING FOR TRAINING?

Good news! findcourses.co.uk offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team. 

people-using-laptop-search-training

Request a free quote

APPRENTICESHIPS

Is your company looking to take on an apprentice?

choose-the-right-apprenticeship

Learn more