Course aims to gain basic levels of skill in preparation and cooking of savoury and sweet Indian dishes.
- Have basic awareness of some of the cultural differences in Indian food
- To be able to carry out basic techniques of baking, frying and boiling
- To understand the basic principles of spice combinations
- To carry out basic techniques using karaliu, griddle and pestle and mortar
- To be able to appreciate the essential properties of ingredients used in Indian cookery
- To be able to prepare for and make simple dishes from Indian recipes
- To be aware of food hygiene and safety issues in the kitchen
- Be aware of employment opportunities in the catering industry
- Produce a portfolio of evidence showing skill development and research
Upcoming start dates
Contact for future dates
Online delivery option may be available - Please contact provider.
- Self-Paced Online
Suitability - Who should attend?
For those who wish to learn basic Indian cookery skills and to develop a basic knowledge of the properties of Indian foods. Basic literacy and numeracy (free help is available within BAES if required). Basic cookery skills and experience with kitchen appliances would be an advantage. At the start of this course, your tutor will carry out an initial assessment to check that the level is suitable for you.
At Birmingham Adult Education Service their aim is to make a difference. Offering courses such as English, Math, Health & Social Care and Art, BAES has a vision to become an outstanding provider of community learning and skills. Whether you're...