Proofreading or Proof reading? Whatever you choose, one of ContentETC's proofreading top tips is that you have to be consistent. From the basics of proofreading marks and symbols to more advanced editing skills, our professional proofreading training course will cover it all.
Successful proofreading can make the difference between a really effective piece of writing, and one that confuses, bores or even antagonises your reader. If you ever have to check copy or content for mistakes, then this practical interactive online elearning course delivers everything you need to make you quicker, better and much more effective at proofreading.
The course comes in 3 parts:
- What proofreading is, where mistakes occur and the skills we need to be an effective proofreader
- The knowledge required to proofread effectively
- Methods and processes
You will learn:
- What proofreading is and what it can achieve
- All the areas that proofreaders need to check
- Working with your house style
- Layout, formatting and typography
- Dealing with numbers, dates and facts
- Grammar, tenses and spelling
- Key punctuation rules and guidelines
- The most common errors to correct
- Getting the most out of your proofreading tools
- The proofreading marks used by professionals
- A variety of reading and checking styles and methods
- How to overcome proofreading barriers and hurdles
...and much more.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Anyone responsible for proofreading copy.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Certificate of Attendance
Feedback from the trainer
The beauty of elearning is that you can do it at a time and place to suit you. But you won't be alone! Your trainer, Karen May, will talk you through the key points to improve your skills and knowledge, and at any time during your elearning course, you can email her with any queries or comments.
Karen can also give you invaluable one-to-one feedback on your own work. If you buy the trainer feedback option with your course, she will ask you to email a piece of work that you have proofed after you have completed the elearning. She will supply you with individual guidance, comments and practical suggestions. Then, once you've improved your work, she will review your revised content and provide a second set of comments. This unique feedback really brings your elearning to life and makes sure you have truly grasped - and applied - all of the key principles.
Training Course Content
Exercises and quizzes
To check your understanding of the theory, during this e-learning course you will be quizzed on all aspects of proofreading.
Top tips and checklists
Handy tips and checklists at key stages of the course. These cover vital topics including:
- Developing a fresh eye
- Using a dictionary
- Making multiple passes
- Checking corrected proofs against marked up proofs
- 10 ways to effective proofreading
Proofreading is an ideal companion to our Top 20 Grammar Mistakes and how to fix them and Sub-Editing courses.
We train people to communicate.
Our elearning, in-house and remote courses are tailored to help you with: Effective Business Writing; Copywriting; Digital Content and Social Media; Storytelling; Media Training; Video Skills and Media Law. We also run the Professional Publishers Association Foundation Certificate in Journalism. Our trainers are journalists and professional...
Average rating 5Based on 4 reviews
Find out more about this Proofreading course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!