With the help of experts, we have developed a range of vital programmes which will affordably and effectively give you the skills needed to succeed. This course also has additional modules on special educational needs to provide you with a training solution which will cover all the knowledge you need to care for children, whether they have a specific need or not.
Students will gain insight into nutrition in the early years to understand the importance of giving children a good, healthy start in life through nutritious foods. The next module will run students through supplying a service to parents of children of all ages with the focus on babysitting. This module will explain the responsibilities of a sitter and look into the importance of continuity of care and the setting of boundaries. Help to prepare yourself to watch your children grow and thrive with a module in parenting. This course will also give learners a good understanding of basic food hygiene practices. It covers food poisoning, bacteria, contamination, temperature control, preparing and presenting food, spoilage and prevention, delivery and storage, personal hygiene, cleaning and disinfection, food pests, premises and equipment & food safety control.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Anybody who has a desire to learn more about this subject is encouraged to do this course. The course has no entry requirements.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On completion of the course you will be awarded a certificate.
Advantages of This Course
- 12 months unlimited access to the course content.
- Sign in and study anytime, anywhere. All you need is an internet connection!
- 24 hour, Monday to Friday technical support.
- Get your CV to the top of the pile using the knowledge and skills you have gained.
This CACHE endorsed learning programme is delivered by Laser Learning, our official partner.
Training Course Content
Units of Study
- Award in Food Safety
- Nutrition in the Early Years
- Further Info
This package gains you two certificates, one certificate from Cache confirming your endorsed learning package, the second will cover all the modules (endorsed learning programmes) within the package.
Key Learning Points
- Understand the various components of a healthy diet, and what foods can include these elements, including proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Get to grips with what makes a well-balanced meal, and what food groups should be included.
- Learn how to portion size correctly, and understand the importance of portion control.
- Take a look at some of the common food allergies, dietary preferences and intolerances, and recognise some of the foods that can be ‘danger foods’.
- Understand that children will learn from what they see you do, which is why being a good role model is essential if you want to implement positive eating habits.
- Gain insight into some of the common food phobias that some children can experience, and learn how to deal with these issues.
- Learn how to address childhood obesity by encouraging children to help prepare and cook healthy meals, as well as encouraging them to try new things.
- Gain insight into the responsibility of parents when considering the employment of a babysitter to care for their children in their absence.
- Learn about the responsibilities of a babysitter, and how you should act when you are the person left in charge of a child’s care.
- Understand the need for confidentiality and privacy, and remaining professional at all times both within, and away from, the work environment.
- Get to grips with some of the issues and concerns that may arise as part of the babysitter role.
- Learn some of the basic stages of a child’s development, and recognise some of the care routines that you will be entrusted with when looking after children.
- Understand what to expect from the children that you are be responsible for, and how to handle good, and bad, behaviour effectively. Learn the value of bedtime stories, and how they can be enormously beneficial to a child.
- Recognise some of the key things that a baby needs when being cared for, and the responsibilities that a parent has to ensure these needs are met, including good health and nutrition.
- Identify some of the various regulations that can change in accordance with the latest research, including safe sleeping and weaning.
- Understand some of the main priorities that need to be addressed to ensure a safe environment for a child’s upbringing.
- Understand the importance of attachment, for both parent and baby.
- Learn about the dangers that smoking, taking drugs and drinking alcohol can have on both the health of the parent and the child. Understand the effects of passive smoking, and the support that is available for those who want to stop.
- Address some of the concerns that a new parent may have when bringing their baby home from the hospital for the first time.
- Identify the various types of support that are available to help a parent when they need it.
- Look at some of the common childhood illnesses, and briefly cover child development and child safety.
Course delivery details
- Location: Online course
- Course Access: 12 Months
- Go at your own pace.
- There are no time limits for this course.
- This course is compatible with all modern devices and browsers.
- On completion of the course, you will be awarded a certificate.
- We are here to help if you have any problems.
With more than 150,000 learners around the world and over 1000 online courses, Harley Oxford is one of the largest elearning platforms around. Looking to learn a new skill or perhaps a hobby, whatever your choice is our courses are...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!