Strategy for Directors
A dynamic strategic process is a critical part of delivering stakeholder value and generating competitive advantage for your organisation. This intensive course provides insight into the board-level knowledge and skills required to create, implement and evaluate your organisation’s strategy.
It explores the relationship between strategy, governance and risk, shows you how to use tools and frameworks that support strategic thinking and decision-making, and offers practical insights into how to deliver your current business objectives while future-proofing your organisation.
- Describe the ingredients of effective strategic thinking and explain their link with the strategy process
- Carry out an analysis of a market or industry to reveal areas of possible strategic opportunity of threat
- Evaluate an organisation’s capabilities to reveal relative strengths and capabilities
- Use strategic concepts and models to generate, evaluate and assess strategic options
- Describe how to conduct the implementation of a strategy and evaluate the potential ramifications
Upcoming start dates
11 December, 2023
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for directors and senior leaders.
Training Course Content
Strategy and the board
- Directors, governance, risk and strategy.
- The key elements of success and failure in strategy.
- Organisational focus, purpose and values, and your organisation’s strategic space.
- Strategic conversations and capability in the boardroom.
- The strategy process as an evolving cycle of challenge, cohesion and commitment.
- What your board needs to know – interpreting information and asking the right questions.
- Your organisation’s wider business environment and how to predict and prepare for change.
- The lifespans of markets and business models.
- Consumer behaviour and changing market conditions.
- How your organisation delivers value to customers.
- The core skills that preserve your competitive advantage.
- Combining your internal and external analyses to show your organisation’s current strategic position.
- Where your organisation is and where you want it to be – current and future business models.
- The products and markets that will deliver your organisation’s goals
- Effectively distinguishing your value proposition.
- Successfully evaluating strategic options to align them with your organisation’s available resources and stakeholder expectations.
- Establishing the approaches to capability that will best deliver your organisation’s strategy.
- Commitment to implementation and common reasons why most organisations find it challenging.
- Effective alignment of resources and how to communicate a strategy to key stakeholders.
- Tracking implementation progress across your organisation and adapting your approach accordingly.
- Agile strategic approaches and how to evaluate and evolve your strategy as it’s being delivered.
Why choose Institute of Directors
Founded in 1903
Qualifications for directors under Royal Charter
Delivered in-company training in more than 40 countries over the last three years
- Member Price: £2,995
- Non-Member rate: £3,595
The Institute of Directors - Professional Development Programs and Courses
The Institute of Directors (IoD) offers an extensive suite of learning and development programs, specially designed for directors and senior leaders. For over a century, the IoD has been at the forefront of director development, championing training and representing the...