Doctor of Medicine
The 4-year course of study leading to the doctor of medicine (M.D.) degree employs a variety of educational strategies, including problem based learning and clinical experiences to enable students to gain the competencies expected of all physicians. Additionally, the program offers an emphasis on providing technology-enhanced healthcare in service to the community.
The program prepares students for postgraduate study in any specialty, for licensure, and for future medical practice. It incorporates innovative curricular design that promotes scientific inquiry, critical thinking and comprehensive clinical expertise. Overall, the program evolves medical education in such a way as to prepare physicians for the next 20 years and beyond.
- Graduate of an accredited college or university
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (science discipline preferred)
- GPA: Cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0; Science GPA ≥ 3.0
- MCAT: Official score must be provided. Scores ≥ 500 are preferred
- English Proficiency as evidenced by:
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or greater or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5 or greater, or
- 1550 or greater EmSAT English score
- Exemption for native English speakers who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree at an English-speaking university
- Required Pre-requisite Courses (Grade of C (or equivalent) or higher in each)
General Biology with laboratory – 2 semesters
General Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semesters
Organic Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semestersorOrganic Chemistry with laboratory 1 semester plus Biochemistry – 1 semester
Physics with laboratory – 2 semesters
Mathematics (College Algebra or higher) – 2 semesters
- Recommended Pre-requisite Courses (minimum 2 semesters in one or more of these areas: Bioethics, Business, Economics, Epidemiology / Statistics, Cell Biology, Foreign/Additional Language, Genetics, Humanities, Immunology, Microbiology, Physiology, Psychology, Social Sciences, Sociology)
- Non-Academic Experiences (Preferred)
- Student can meet "Technical Standards" with or without reasonable accommodation
The Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) is committed to providing an innovative and challenging curriculum taught by the best clinical and research faculty in the UAE. The MD curriculum is designed to provide content of sufficient breadth and depth to prepare the medical student for entry into any residency program and for the subsequent contemporary practice of medicine.
The curriculum is integrated horizontally and vertically, with basic and clinical science instruction offered in each curricular year. Additionally, there are five themes, called strands, that interweave throughout the four years. The five strands are:
- Biomedical Science
- Clinical Science
- Medicine and Society
- Research and Technology
The first two years of the MD program focus on the core biomedical sciences, organ systems, clinical skills, the role of physicians in society, professional development, and clinical research. The third and fourth periods focus on clinical clerkships and specialty training while reviewing the core sciences and completing projects in research and community service. Courses and core clerkships during the four-year program are delivered at the Main Campus of Khalifa University or at affiliated clinics and hospitals throughout Abu Dhabi. Fourth-year medical students can choose to take up to 8 weeks of away rotations within the UAE or abroad.
Khalifa University of Science and Technology
Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KU) combines three of the United Arab Emirates’ leading universities - the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and The Petroleum Institute (PI) -...
Find out more about this Doctor of Medicine course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!