Diploma in Garden Design - Part-time career based training
This part-time 69 week in-depth garden design course, held at Hampton Court Palace, is totally career-orientated, and is designed to provide students with an introduction to garden design. Encompassing both practical and theoretical elements, the garden design course covers all aspects of garden design from the more design-orientated and technically detailed subjects such as hard landscaping and construction drawings through to garden history and horticulture. Using computer aided design, presentation techniques and extensive coverage of professional practice, students ackle a variety of interesting and challenging projects so that they build up an impressive portfolio of work to show prospective clients and employers under the expert guidance of KLC Tutors.
KLC School of Design is highly regarded within the industry and has an enviable track record of employment for its graduates. This course covers every aspect of training for the aspiring garden designer and the carefully constructed, linear programme, and is built around a series of varied design projects. The combination of lectures and practical workshops allows students to build up confidence quickly by putting newly acquired information straight into practice.
In this garden design course, students are introduced to the fundamentals of design drawing, carefully integrated with an introduction to computer aided design, design principles, construction and presentation techniques all set in the context of the design process as a whole. All these areas are further developed as the course progresses so that graduates can develop their design solutions, on a sound basis, and effectively communicate their ideas to the client.
Suitability - Who should attend?
No previous art or design experience is necessary for this interior design course, and the normal entry standard of this intensive course is a degree, but mature students with sufficient prior learning experience are particularly encouraged. Entry is by interview and numbers are strictly limited.
Other entry requirements for this course are:
- Proficiency in English language (minimum score of 6.5 on the InternationalEnglish Language Testing System IELTS or its equivalent
- A personal laptop computer for this course
- You must be at least 20 years old
- A familiarity with the generaloperation and use of computers (for example, they should be able toconfidently create, amend, save and distribute documents, and useemail)
This course can also be taken as an intensive Full-Time course:
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On completion of this course students will achieve the prestigious KLC Diploma.
Drawing skills, technical and sketching: lettering and titling, drawing plans, elevations and sections and mood boards
Term 1 – “Discovery”
- Guidance for self-generated research and project work
- Garden history – Ancient; Medieval; Renaissance; Formal
- Continued drawing, drafting, freehand sketching and rendering
- The role of the garden designer
- The design process - surveying/client brief/project management
- Design skills - principles of design
- Functional layout and conceptual work
- Practical gardening skills including pruning, training and propagation
- Planting design and principles including plans, schedules and usingcolour
- Plant & soil science including nomenclature
- Self-driven garden design analysis
- Introduction to hard landscaping
Term 2 – “Development”
- More complex design situations and theory, including the design ofchallenging sites
- Specialist lectures & visits
- Continued design theory, creativity and concept work
- Spring and summer related practical projects
- Garden history cont. – Early Landscape, Landscape Movement, 19th &20th Century gardens
- Sketching, drafting and rendering continued
- Introduction to 2D CAD (VectorWorks) and SketchUp
- Presentation Techniques
- 1 & 2 Point Perspective
- Powerpoint presentations
- Hard landscaping - construction details continued, including water
- Study of Inspirational Designers
Term 3 – “Direction”
- Inspirational talks & lectures
- Business practice including specifications, contracts, projectmanagement, proposals and costing
- Portfolio advice and surgery
- CAD/Photoshop continued
- Concept design workshop
- More complex design situations and projects
- Project work – final project
The total cost of this course is: £6,000.00 + VAT
KLC School of Design - the real practicalities of design
Jenny Gibbs, Principal at KLC, set up the school 27 years ago as she felt there was a need for courses that addressed the real practicalities of design as well as the more obvious aesthetics.The idea behind this has remained...
Before we redirect you to this supplier's website, do you mind filling out this form so that we can stay in touch? You can unsubscribe at any time.
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!