Coding Boot Camp (Boot Camp / Online and Face to Face Learning)
The digital revolution has transformed virtually every area of human activity—and you can be part of it as a web development professional. The University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp is a part-time, 24-week Full Stack Flex course that gives you the knowledge and skills to build dynamic end-to-end web applications and become a full stack web developer. Courses are scheduled to fit into your life, with convenient weekend and evening sessions. The programme is rigorous and fast-paced and covers both the theory and application of web development. As you become more proficient, youll use what you learn on real projects under the guidance of local employers. Plus, youll have an impressive Professional Portfolio and the confidence to succeed as a web development professional.
This course is offered in partnership with Trilogy Education. Trilogy is a workforce accelerator that has partnered with the worlds leading universities to help companies bridge the digital skills gap.
Suitability - Who should attend?
- You must be over 18 years of age.
- You must have a GCSE grade A-C or 9-4 in Maths.
- You must have passed the admissions interview, coding test and academic interview.
Is the programme right for you
- Are you creative, curious and looking to reinvent yourself professionally? If so—or if any of
- the following describes your situation—enrolling in our coding boot camp could be a smart
- career move:
- You’re considering a career change but not sure how to take the first step.
- You’re happy in your current field, but want to move to another company or stay put and
- shift from a non-technical to technical position.
- You want to engage more deeply with your current job or boost your earnings and broaden
- your experience with freelance work.
- You have an entrepreneurial idea and need to acquire the skills to go “all in” on it and
- launch your business.
- You’re a full-time student but hungry to learn more and expand your skill set.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
- Apply "social coding" accepted and best practices (including source control, issue tracking, functional feedback, etc.)
- Build a front end website either from scratch or by utilising a front end framework (such as Bootstrap)
- Deploy static and dynamic websites to the cloud
- Implement complex logical conditions to meet an Objective
- Write SQL commands to perform Create, Read, Update and Delete commands
- Create a full stack Single Page Application with AJAX Communication
- Develop your vision for a website and then build it
- Expertly navigate the file system and terminal basics
- Work independently, or in a group, on complex projects throughout the entire development lifecycle
- Understand the basics of troubleshooting and enhancing legacy code
- Communicate the basics of serving a web page and how the browser renders code
- Create RESTful APIs utilising JSON as a data format
- Consume RESTful APIs properly utilising REST verbs
- Create web applications and services in Java
- Create session-based applications utilising user authentication schemes that are well-known and widely used
Training Course Content
Mastering the browser
When most people think of the “Internet,” their mind immediately conjures up their web browser. We dive into detail about how the browser works and what exactly the source code comprising a web page does.
API and JSON
The advent of the API has rapidly propelled the pace of innovation in technology. Being able to communicate with other systems enables you to do even more with yours.
Java is a mature programming language trusted across the software industry to build safe, scalable, and robust applications
Computer Science fundamentals
Computer science fundamentals are essential to web development so our curriculum immerses you in the basics of coding and algorithms.
Throughout the course, you’ve developed an impressive portfolio of projects to show future employers. This final project is all yours. Use all of the technologies you’ve learned and make something distinctly your own.
Course delivery details
Time commitment: 10-12 hours per week
You will have access to career services that will help you prepare for technical roles after graduation such as: Career content and practice sessions; Online career events with industry professionals; Soft skills training; One-on-one career coaching
University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact...