Master of Science by Research in Engineering
The degree of Master of Science by Research in Engineering (M.Sc. by Research) is awarded for successfully completing the requirements of a program of study, which includes a limited set of taught courses, as well as a significant written thesis. The thesis is an independent investigation of a specialized area within a particular engineering discipline.
The M.Sc. by Research gives candidates the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in the articular engineering field of interest and contribute to the process of discovery and knowledge creation through the conduct of original research. Candidates for this degree are taught and supervised by experienced faculty and are expected to demonstrate initiative in their approach and innovation in their work.
In addition to successfully completing the taught course component of the program, candidates prepare and present a thesis on their chosen area. Research may be undertaken in several topics corresponding to the areas of focus identified by the University.
Upcoming start dates
Fall Term: September Spring Term: January
- Abu Dhabi
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 out of 4.0, or equivalent from a reputable accredited institution
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of: iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or 1550 EmSAT English score
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form)
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words)
- Admission interview.
The M.Sc. by Research program consists of a minimum of 36 credit hours. The required program credits are distributed as follows: 3 credits of Program Core courses, zero credit seminar in research methods course, 9 credits of Program Elective courses, and 24 credits of Engineering Master’s Thesis work. All the program courses, with the exception of the Research Seminar and the Master’s Thesis, have a credit rating of three credits each.
Local students have the option to complete the program as part-time, stretched over 4 years.
The program costs are waived for both local and international students.