Diploma in Counselling Skills - Level 2South London College
Would you like to improve your counselling skills to make great progress within the industry? Then get on board this Diploma in Counselling Skills – Level 2 to master all the skills needed for a prosperous counselling career. This counselling course is packed with intensive modules that will mold you into a skilled counsellor who has the ability to make great impacts in his/her customers. This training course is a guaranteed way to open up various employment and progression opportunities, provided you have a recognised qualification in any disciple to enroll in this course.
To become a skilled professional in any field, it is vital to first understand one’s self and the personal qualities to develop it accordingly. Therefore, this course will first focus on developing self-understanding and personal qualities. You will learn how to identify issues within a client to provide the appropriate support, followed by modules that will provide an insight into the core counselling skills. This program will also further help you understand and demonstrate these counselling skills to level up your counselling career.
Although counselling requires the client to be very open about his/her issues to get support, there are a few boundaries that has to be followed by both the counsellor and client to ensure a comfortable counselling environment. Hence, this course will also touch on this aspect of counselling, after which you will get to learn about counselling theories and diversity and ethics in a counselling environment.
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that South London College has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by South London College to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
Eligible for TOTUM card - TOTUM is the #1 student discount card and app giving you access to exclusive student deals on food and fashion, tech and travel and everything in between.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
Suitability - Who should attend?
Who Is This Course Aimed at?
- Job seekers
- Counselling professionals
- Anyone willing to get skilled in counselling
- Learners should be age 19 or over, and must have a basic understanding of Maths, English, and ICT.
- A recognised qualification in any discipline.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
Course Code: QLS-04837
Training Course Content
Unit 1 Developing Self - understanding and Personal Qualities
- Identifying your own values and beliefs
- How values and beliefs could affect helping relationships
- Motivation for helping others
- Blocks to listening and learning
- Benefits of giving feedback for personal development
- Identifying strengths in the helping relationship
- Areas for development
- Developing skills and qualities as a counsellor
- Unit summary
Unit 2 Identifying and Accessing Support
- Support needs for Counsellors
- Accessing support
- Using personal and professional support to highlight issues in counselling
- Observations, thoughts, feelings and concerns when using counselling skills
- Benefits of self - reflection
- Unit summary
Unit 3 Understanding Core Counselling Skills
- Core counselling skills
- Using core skills in counselling
- Effective communication
Unit 4 Understanding Boundaries in Counselling Relation Ships
- Boundaries in counselling relationships
- Objectives of a new helping relationship
- Strategies for ending relationships
- The impact of a helping relationship ending
- Conduct of the counsellor
- Unit summary
Unit 5 Understanding and Demonstrating Counselling Skills
- Counselling skills in a helping relationship
- Commentary from the case study
- Assessment tips
- Unit summary
Unit 6 Understanding Counselling Skills and Theories
- Key elements of counselling theories
- Childhood experiences
- Alfred Adler
- Carl Jung
- Object relations theory and ego psychology
- Key elements of person – centered theory
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- Key elements of cognitive behavioral theory
- B.F. Skinner and operant conditioning
- The ABC Model
- Key differences between theories
- How counselling theories underpin the use of counselling skills
- Unit summary
Unit 7 Understanding Diversity and Ethics
- Ethical frameworks
- Key aspects of ethical frameworks
- How ethical frameworks inform counselling skills
- Experiences of discrimination
- Considering discrimination
- Ant discriminatory practices and legislation
- How diversity impacts counselling relationships
- Addressing differences in counselling skills practice
10. Unit summary
The course will be directly delivered to you, and you have 12 months access to the online learning platform from the date you joined the course. The course is self-paced and you can complete it in stages, revisiting the lectures at any time
Method of Assessment
In order to complete the Diploma in counselling skills – level 2 successfully, all students are required to complete a series of assignments. The completed assignments must be submitted via the online portal. Your instructor will review and evaluate your work and provide your feedback based on how well you have completed your assignments
With this Level 2 Diploma in counselling skills you are sure to grab a rewarding counselling job position. This diploma can also help build on your existing expertise to improve your eligibility for job promotions and salary increments put forth by your organisation. You can also use this diploma as a basis to purse higher education in counselling. Below given are few of the job positions you can get ahold with this diploma,
- School counsellor
- Mental health counsellor
- Legal counsellor
- Senior counsellor
Other jobs you can get
- Career and employment counsellor
- Student counsellor
- Rehabilitation counsellor
South London College is a well-established Professional online education provider in the United Kingdom and it aims to meet the employment needs of the youth and people in the United Kingdom and other parts of the world. South London College...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!