Site Sustainability Manager
Our Site Sustainability Manager course prepares learners to become a construction site sustainability champion, ensuring environmental impacts are minimised.
BREEAM AP Site (also known as a Site Sustainable Manager or SSM) has a focus on sustainability on the construction site.
Their main responsibility is to support the project's achievement of sustainability aspirations at the construction, handover and close out stages, and the targeted BREEAM rating. They are the champions of sustainability on site and ensure environmental site impacts are minimised.
For BREEAM assessed projects, the involvement of a qualified BREEAM AP Site / SSM earns BREEAM credits in the Management category, and further credits can be achieved by monitoring and limiting site impacts.
Upcoming start dates
16 April, 2024
- Virtual Classroom
Suitability - Who should attend?
Is it right for me?
This course is aimed at site-based managers and other individuals who have the authority to influence activities on the building site.
After passing the examination, you will need to demonstrate ongoing competence in sustainability matters through a minimum of 15 hours CPD each year. To badge yourself as an active' BREEAM AP – Site/ SSM you will also need to be listed on GreenBookLive.com.
The BRE Academy offers a package of Sustainability Membership and GreenBookLive listings, which will cover both requirements.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
After completing the course learners will be able to
- Understand the basics of sustainability on site.
- Understand the performance gap and spot potential issues that might widen this gap.
- Understand the principles of infrared thermography, and how to achieve an airtight building.
- Understand the process of BREEAM certification and know your role within the post-construction stage assessment.
- Be able to identify the correct type of evidence to allow the BREEAM assessor to carry out their assessment.
- Understand how Building Information Management (BIM) can support your work on-site and enable better sustainability outcomes.
- Know how to successfully champion sustainability on-site, including how to involve site workers and the supply chain.
Learners who successfully complete this course will be eligible for listing on GreenBookLive.com as an active BREEAM AP Site / SSM.
Training Course Content
This course consists of 7 hours of online self-study, followed by a one-day virtual classroom workshop with a separate online examination date.
Online learning (known as Day 1)
- Lesson 1: Who is the Site Sustainability Manager (SSM) ?
- Lesson 2: Reducing the performance gap
- Lesson 3: Delivering the design spefication
- Lesson 4: Airtightness
- Lesson 5: Sustainability assessment schemes
- Mock examination
Classroom workshop (known as Day 2)
- The SSM (BREEAM AP – Site) role
- Helping to deliver the target BREEAM rating
- Reducing site impacts (waste, energy, water, local impacts)
- Useful tools and actions to ensure success
The course programme concludes with one online examination, set at a day and time to be agreed between the learner and ProctorU, who invigilate examinations on behalf of BRE Academy. The examination must be passed for learners to be classified as competent:
- Site Sustainability Manager (BREEAM AP – Site)
The exam is in an ‘open book’ format, meaning you can use any documents related to the course to aid you.
Why choose BRE Academy
100 years of experience in the built environment
More than 13,000 learners since 2015
100s of hours of CPD content for built environment professionals
The BRE Academy is the leading training provider for the built environment. Most courses are developed by BRE – a science research hub with 100 years of experience in safety and sustainability. As a profit-for-purpose, all fees go towards further...