Introduction to Coaching
Develop your coaching skills and the confidence to adopt a coaching approach. Are you looking to bring out the best in the people around you within your workplace? If so, this invaluable introduction to coaching is perfect for you. Not only is it a great introduction, but also a solid foundation from which to adopt more advanced coaching techniques.
Our programme is informed by an expert team of coaches and the latest CIPD research. It includes bespoke video content to help engage you through the Virtual Classroom experience.
- Define the purpose and ground rules for coaching
- Develop attentive listening
- Apply a structured approach to conversations
- Question to initiate change
- Explore cognitive and emotional levels
- Apply Appreciative Inquiry methodologies
- Describe how language impacts on clarity of thinking
- Assess emerging trends from the disciplines of neuroscience and psychology
Suitability - Who should attend?
Ideal choice if you’re a line manager, People Professional or recognised coach wishing to develop your coaching style and challenge/support individuals within your organisation to reach their full potential.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the differences and similarities between coaching and mentoring
- Find opportunities to coach people on the job, in your team or more formally
- Agree ground rules that meet the need of you and the coachee
- Monitor the coaching relationship and wider organisation context
- Play to your strengths when listening as well as noticing your development areas
- Pay attention to people’s potential, as well as distractions
- Know when, where and what to use coaching for
- Use the GROW coaching model to maintain an indirect and direct approach
- Knowingly ask different types of questions
- Use a feedback model so that you are positive and developmental
- Have meaningful conversations that also express your own values
- Have the courage and framework to tackle emotions and ineffective ways of working
- Knowingly use Appreciative Inquiry techniques, instead of problem-solving approaches
- Be freer in your approach by creating more choices and ideas
- Deliberately use and observe language to best effect
- Reduce any sense of overload in coaching
- Reflect on current trends in coaching
Training Course Content
- Introduction to Coaching - purpose, ground rules, trust & listening
- Coaching with Trust - structure, effective questioning & feedback
- Meaningful Conversations - when to coach, questioning levels & the ACE model
- Appreciative Enquiry - origins, methodology & practicalities
- Precision Questioning - purpose, choice, language & questioning
- Latest Thinking - neuroscience and coaching, emerging trends & practical tools
Course delivery details
This programme is delivered as twelve webinars in 1-hour sessions, supported by 6 videos. This programme is expected to be delivered over 3 weeks with one day of learning per week. Week 1 will cover sessions 1-4; week 2 will include sessions 5-8; and week 3 concludes with sessions 9-12. Each webinar will be one hour long with a 30-minute interval between each and extended break for lunch.
This course can also be provided in house. You choose where and when you want our trainers to deliver. We can also tailor the programme to suit your precise organisation needs.
Why choose CIPD Learning
100+ years of experience
Join over 25,000 professionals currently studying
30+ short courses
Course fees for:
- Members: £960.00 + VAT
- Non-members: £1056.00 + VAT
About CIPD Learning
CIPD Learning offers inspiring and impactful learning and training courses for the people profession. Whether you’re looking for practical, operational know-how or high-level strategic insight, CIPD Learning has over 30 online courses to choose from. They are aligned to the...
Find out more about this Introduction to Coaching course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Corporate Training for Teams