Finance for Non-Finance Managers - 1-day classroom course
Being successful within an increasingly complex and fast moving world, with very flat management structures, requires a firm grasp and an in depth understanding of a whole range of financial concepts and skills. This training course is being constantly updated to always contain the latest financial issues and includes information on financial matters that have only come into force in 2018 and therefore first apply to accounting periods starting on or after 1 January 2018.
This training course will provide the essential knowledge of those key financial management issues and concepts that are needed by successful Managers, Executives, Directors and Consultants in order to remain ahead of their competition. The completion of this training course will provide a good grasp of the key elements of Management Accounts and Statutory Financial Accounts. It will also provide a sound theoretical financial knowledge base upon which to build and acquire new and more advanced financial management skills. The theoretical knowledge will be reinforced by hands-on case studies.
Attendees of this training course will become highly skilled at reading and understanding Balance Sheets and Profit & Loss Accounts. You will become more involved with all types of financial discussions within your organisation. You will be more confident and comfortable when communicating with financial managers, directors, investors, suppliers and key clients.
Suitability - Who should attend?
Any other Managers or Executives interested in improving their financial skills and knowledge for the benefit of their organisation and their personal career development, including:
- General Managers
- Board Directors
- Company Directors
- Department Heads
- Sales Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Administration Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- IT Managers
- Budget Holders
- Production Managers
- Technical Managers
- Facilities Managers
- Site Managers
- Property Managers
- Advertising Managers
- Media Managers
- Medical Managers
- Charity Heads
- Charity Managers
- Medical Services Managers
- Communications Managers
- Logistics Managers
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Formal Certificates of Professional Development will be issued to participants who successfully complete this training course, in print for the 2-day training course and by email for the 1-day training course. These certificates will be accepted as evidence for CPD purposes by most professional institutes and associations, including the Law Society, the CIM, the CMI, the ICAEW, the Institute of Learning and the CIPD.
Training Course Content
Accounting and the Law
- Accounting principles & policies (GAAP)
- Terminology & Jargon
The Three Key Financial Statements
- Balance Sheets: Assets; Liabilities; Net current assets, capital employed and how to interpret the information;
- Profit & Loss Account, Types of profit, and Layout & use of the profit & loss account
- Cash Flow Statements: Importance of cash flow and Impact of credit and credit control, Problems affecting cash flow. Dealing with Debtors and Creditors
Using Key Ratios to Analyse Accounts and to Support Investment Decisions
- Return on Capital Employed (ROCE)
- Current Ratios, Quick Ratios, Debtor Days, Stock Turn
- Net Present Value (NPV) of cash flows and projects
- Investment decisions and Return on Investment (ROI); Cost of capital
- Gearing, is the level of borrowing too risky?
- Liquidity, could the company hit cash flow problems?
- Profitability, how well is the company doing?
Revenue and Capital Expenditure
- What are Capital and Revenue Expenditure
- Phasing of capital spend and its implications for budget holders
Depreciation and Amortisation of Assets and liabilities
- What is Depreciation
- What is Amortisation
- Goodwill; its purpose, calculation and impact
Company Acquisitions and Disposals
- The valuation of target company acquisitions
- The treatment of company acquisitions and disposals
- The impact of acquisitions upon the financial results
- The financial pitfalls relating to acquisitions and disposals
- The impact of acquisitions upon the market value of the organisation
- Their purpose and definition
- Goodwill evaluation and its stated value in the accounts
Share Price and Share Valuation
- The importance of Share Price/Valuation
- Acquisitions as a tool to create shareholder value and move the Share Price upwards
- Management of the Share Price/Valuation
Costing and the Impact of Costing Assumptions on Business Decisions
- Cost types & behaviours and their Impact on decisions
- Break-even and Contribution Analysis
- Direct and Indirect Costs: fixed, Mixed and variable costs
- How costs are determined and predicting profit
- How the cost structure can affect planning and decision making
- Full Costing, Marginal Costing and Activity Based Costing (ABC)
Other Financial Factors and their Influence on Decision Making
- The interaction of taxation and business planning
- Accounting policies as significant drivers of business decisions
Excellence in Learning - Quality Development for the Learning Community
We provide training courses, internally and on an open scheduled basis. These training courses will give you all of the essential information needed for you and your organisation to be successful. These are delivered in a professional and easily understandable...
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this 2019 Finance for Non-Finance Managers course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!