Effective Business English
This course is a comprehensive introduction to written English to assist with improving the impact of your business documents. It is of great value to write clearly and concisely in a work context. It improves communication and gives your words more authority.
To write effectively, it is essential to use the correct tone and lexicon, and also to ensure that spelling, punctuation and grammar are used correctly.
This step-by-step course will increase your awareness and improve your knowledge of good written English - and therefore both your confidence and effectiveness in work-related writing.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for those who produce written communications and who wish to produce them more accurately, quickly and convincingly. It is particularly helpful for those who feel they need to revisit the rules of grammar, punctuation, spelling and meaning that will give their written words more clarity and credibility.
Participants are required to:
1. Complete a pre-course questionnaire to help the trainer identify their needs.
2. Submit or bring along some writing they wish to improve (optional).
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of the course you will have learnt how to:-
- Follow the rules of grammar that matter, knowing which are obligatory, optional or defunct.
- Use the vocabulary and tone that is most appropriate to your reader to get the best response.
- Stay focused during the writing of any document on both the ‘macro’ level (structure and length) and ‘micro’ level (grammar, spelling, punctuation and meaning).
- Keep documents succinct by making the best choice of words during the writing and then editing down as required.
- Use punctuation in writing as readily and appropriately as you use intonation in speech to avoid ambiguity and determine meaning.
- Edit and proof to eliminate errors and streamline documents, so that they are always clear, concise and credible when you send or submit them.
These will be learnt through guided practice; written and oral exercises; analysis of different kinds of business writing; and examples of edited documents. Use is made of a range of business texts – from emails and letters to memos and proposals.
You will accrue 7 Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points.
Training Course Content
Course content includes:
The Nuts and Bolts of Written Language
- Grammar: the rules to know and apply; those to question and use with discretion; those to ignore, where they are archaic or otherwise redundant; explanations of common grammatical terms.
- Punctuation: the most misunderstood marks and how to use them properly; how punctuation practices have changed; how to use punctuation to optimise clarity and minimise length
- Spelling: the most commonly misspelt words; spelling rules, exceptions and pitfalls; homophones, and informed use of the spellchecker.
- Meaning: using the right words; commonly misused words and correct alternatives.
Structure and Style
- Structure: building sentences and paragraphs that guide your reader; drawing a plan of your document before you start writing; producing appropriately logical structures.
- Plain English: the virtues of simplicity and the principles of ‘plain English’, as illustrated in good and bad real-life business examples.
- Corporate style: the importance of adhering to your house style; its defining characteristics to know, develop and apply.
Editing and Proofing
- Editing for economy: cutting and streamlining your writing for readability.
- Proofing techniques: ways to ensure you catch stylistic, grammatical and related errors before sending or submitting a document.
You will receive a comprehensive course manual, containing the course information given on the above, for ongoing reference back in the office.
Identifying your goals and a plan for achieving them.
The cost of this course is £669 + VAT per delegate.
Hemsley Fraser can also deliver this course in-house, tailoring the content to meet your organisation’s needs. Please get in touch for a quote.
Provider: Hemsley Fraser
Hemsley Fraser – Be Ready For Tomorrow
Hemsley Fraser create, deliver and execute learning experiences to drive higher levels of engagement. From our roots as a UK training company, we’ve empowered talent for three decades, evolving our business into a global, award-winning provider. Experts in our field,...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Contact information for Hemsley Fraser
Reviews by course attendees
Average rating 4Based on 1 reviews
Find out more about this Effective Business English course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!
e-learning / Online / Distance