Effective Business English
This course is a comprehensive introduction to written English to assist with improving the impact of your business documents. It is of great value to write clearly and concisely in a work context. It improves communication and gives your words more authority.
To write effectively, it is essential to use the correct tone and lexicon, and also to ensure that spelling, punctuation and grammar are used correctly.
Participants will learn to:
- Use tone and vocabulary most appropriate for your reader to elicit the best response.
- Follow the most important and often used rules of grammar, and knowing which are optional, obligatory or defunct.
- Stay focused when writing a document on both the ‘macro’ level (structure and length) and ‘micro’ level (spelling, punctuation, grammar and meaning).
- Keep documents succinct and to the point by making the best word choices during writing and then editing down as needed.
- Edit and proof to get rid of errors and streamline documents, so that they are always clear, concise and credible before submitting them.
- Use punctuation in writing readily and appropriately to avoid ambiguity.
These will be learned through written and oral exercises, analysis of various kinds of business writing, and practice. It will include letters, memos, proposals, emails and more.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for those who produce written communications and who wish to produce them more accurately, quickly and convincingly. It is particularly helpful for those who feel they need to revisit the rules of grammar, punctuation, spelling and meaning that will give their written words more clarity and credibility.
Participants are required to:
1. Complete a pre-course questionnaire to help the trainer identify their needs.
2. Submit or bring along some writing they wish to improve (optional).
Outcome / Qualification etc.
You will accrue 7 Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points.
Training Course Content
Course content includes:
The Nuts and Bolts of Written Language
- Grammar: the rules to know and apply; those to question and use with discretion; those to ignore, where they are archaic or otherwise redundant; explanations of common grammatical terms.
- Punctuation: the most misunderstood marks and how to use them properly; how punctuation practices have changed; how to use punctuation to optimise clarity and minimise length
- Spelling: the most commonly misspelt words; spelling rules, exceptions and pitfalls; homophones, and informed use of the spellchecker.
- Meaning: using the right words; commonly misused words and correct alternatives.
Structure and Style
- Structure: building sentences and paragraphs that guide your reader; drawing a plan of your document before you start writing; producing appropriately logical structures.
- Plain English: the virtues of simplicity and the principles of ‘plain English’, as illustrated in good and bad real-life business examples.
- Corporate style: the importance of adhering to your house style; its defining characteristics to know, develop and apply.
Editing and Proofing
- Editing for economy: cutting and streamlining your writing for readability.
- Proofing techniques: ways to ensure you catch stylistic, grammatical and related errors before sending or submitting a document.
You will receive a comprehensive course manual, containing the course information given on the above, for ongoing reference back in the office.
Identifying your goals and a plan for achieving them.
The cost of this course is £669 + VAT per delegate.
Hemsley Fraser can also deliver this course in-house, tailoring the content to meet your organisation’s needs. Please get in touch for a quote.
Provider: Hemsley Fraser
Hemsley Fraser – Be Ready For Tomorrow
Hemsley Fraser create, deliver and execute learning experiences to drive higher levels of engagement. From our roots as a UK training company, we’ve empowered talent for three decades, evolving our business into a global, award-winning provider. Experts in our field,...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Contact information for Hemsley Fraser
Reviews by course attendees
Average rating 4Based on 1 reviews
Find out more about this Effective Business English course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!