Project Planning - In-House
Proper planning is often the differentiating factor between a project that is successful and one that is unsuccessful.
Project Planning - The Skills in a Day is an in-company course which aims to help project managers prioritise their planning work according to best practices in order to increase efficiency. The course is structured as a workshop and based around a live case study project which has already been agreed for a formerly agreed upon business case. Participants start off by planning of a project launch meeting, and will then work in groups to complete a robust set of plans for the project.
The interactive workshop is led by a skilled and experienced trainer who takes on the role of project sponsor, to ensure that participants are directed and supported throughout the planning process.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Project Planning course is suitable for new Project Managers/Planners or those with limited experience in your organisation who wish to strengthen their project planning skills in particular. An initial working knowledge of the most common tools and techniques (e.g. Milestones, Gantt Charts, Network Diagrams, Risk Procedures etc) is desirable.
In order to maximise the learning, your employees are provided with some reading prior to the workshop, so they can familiarise themselves with the project they will be planning.
Training Course Content
This course can be tailored to your organisation and covers the following areas:
The Importance of a Launch Meeting
- The structure of a project launch meeting
- The reasons for holding the meeting
The Business Case and Benefits Management Plan
- The minimum requirements of a finalised business case
- The need for a benefits management plan at the start of a project
The Value of the Four Key Breakdown Structures
- Advantages of an Organisational Breakdown Structure (O.B.S.)
- The P.B.S. – why not simply do a W.B.S.?
- What a Work Breakdown Structure (W.B.S.) will do for your project?
- How to create a Cost Breakdown Structure (C.B.S.) and its value
Stakeholder Management and the Communication Plan
- How to undertake stakeholder identification
- Deciding which stakeholder analysis tools to use
- Completing an effective communication plan
How to Schedule Project Tasks, Activities and Milestones
- The value of having done a W.B.S.
- Estimating methods – which to use?
- Understanding how to create a network diagram from your W.B.S.
- Gantt Charts - what they tell you and their suitability for reporting
- The value of having a separate milestone plan
- The links between scheduling and resource management
Resource Management and the Relevant Planning Tools
- Creating a Histogram and what it will do for your project
- Resource allocation and the RAM / RACI diagram
- Planning how to use ‘S’ curves
Risk Management and Conducting a Risk Workshop
- How to plan and run a risk workshop
- How to identify risks – threats and opportunities
- Understanding which risk assessment methods to use
- How to plan risk responses – the options to consider
- The importance of the risk log/register
Planning to Deliver 'fit-for-purpose' Quality
- The key considerations behind quality planning
- Why establishing ‘fit-for-purpose’ quality is essential
- The importance of planning your quality controls
Ensuring the Project Management Plan is Complete
- The P.M.P. – who writes it, approves it and uses it?
- A checklist to test the content
From £1,600. Please contact Hemsley Fraser for a quote for this in-house course.
Provider: Hemsley Fraser
Hemsley Fraser – Be Ready For Tomorrow
Hemsley Fraser create, deliver and execute learning experiences to drive higher levels of engagement. From our roots as a UK training company, we’ve empowered talent for three decades, evolving our business into a global, award-winning provider. Experts in our field,...
Request information - obligation free
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Project Planning - In-House course - simply fill out your details:
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!