Pharmaceutical Microbiology - QP Module
This highly interactive, virtual pharmaceutical microbiology course is designed to provide the aspiring Qualified Person and pharmaceutical professionals with the knowledge and understanding they need to assess microbiological risks in the pharmaceutical manufacturing environment. Learn how to assist in the design and implementation of comprehensive microbiological control strategies and how to make informed decisions when microbiological problems occur.
Microbiological contamination of products and processes continues to be a major concern to the industry and its regulators. The potential impact of such contamination can be catastrophic. Put simply, microbial contamination can kill your patients and your business. This pharmaceutical microbiology course is designed to provide both non-biologists and microbiologist with the knowledge, confidence and decision-making risk assessment skills to prevent this from happening.
This pharmaceutical microbiology course is approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry as suitable for their members continuing professional development.
Upcoming start dates
Enquire for more information
Enquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Suitability - Who should attend?
The Aspiring Qualified Person
- Our training is generally considered as the best available and our QPs are held in high regard within the industry.
- As well as being accepted in the UK, our training courses are well known and accepted by several other EU countries, including Ireland, The Netherlands, Austria, Hungary and Malta.
- You are more likely to become a QP with us than with any other training provider!
The Pharmaceutical Technical Professional
- Not all the people attending these courses intend to become QPs. Many use the training to develop as technical managers within other areas of pharmaceutical manufacture and control.
- Many industry professionals from a range of disciplines attend the courses as part of their Continuing Professional Development. Taken with some of our other QP modules, this course is designed to lead to Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma and MSc qualifications.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On completion of this course participants will know and understand:
- The basic characteristics of all microorganisms found in your premises how they get there and how you can remove them
- How to sample, isolate and identify these organisms
- How to prevent contamination of your products and processes using risk management and assessment tools and techniques
- The interpretation of data
- QP decision making
- How to satisfy the regulator and protect your patient
- Micro methods
- Microorganisms and your products, procedures and plants
Training Course Content
Microorganisms: Understanding your ‘Enemy!
- The physiology and key characteristics of microorganisms
- Routes of contamination
Microbiological Methods: ‘How to Guidance on…
- Isolation and enumeration (counting)
- Identification: How and when to identify microorganisms
- Tests for sterility and preservative efficacy
- Process analytical technology (PAT)
- Rapid (non-culturable) methods
- The microbiology laboratory: Good laboratory practice
- Monitoring methods
Microorganisms: Your Products, Procedures & Plants
- Raw materials
- Contamination control strategies
- Microbiological aspects of good plant and process design
- How to use media fills to assess the vulnerability of your process to contamination
- How to use risk assessment and hazard analysis to identify and remove contamination risks
Microorganisms: How to Remove Them
- Good sanitization practices
- The kinetics of sterilization
- Antibiotics: How they work and how you test them
Decision Making and Problem Solving
- How to interpret microbiological data and trends
- How to identify the root cause of contamination incidents
- How to use risk assessment techniques to assess the impact of ‘failures on product quality and patient safety
Course delivery details
If you choose our virtual learning option, training will be delivered via a combination of an instructor-led virtual classroom and self-paced learning online. Full details will be sent to you following registration.
All of NSF's pharmaceutical training courses can be brought on-site, tailored to your key concerns and delivered at a time that suits you.
Why choose NSF International, Health Sciences
Trained over 1,300 delegates on our CQI and IRCA certified GMP PQS lead auditor training course
Provided expert health sciences training for over 30 years
More people have become ‘Qualified Persons’ in Europe through our training programme than any other training provider
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Average rating 5
Particularly liked the identification aspect - very 'hands on' and really helps with the context. Very enjoyable course.
As someone from a chemistry background working in an aseptic sterile facility I found the level of the course was easily understandable and enjoyable. Tutors were very knowledge...
The course gave me an excellent view about the microbiological hazards in the pharma industry. Once you know the hazards you can fight them.
Multiple participant discounts available. Discounts also offered to NHS staff, regulators and charities.