Introduction to MySQL - In-house Training
The Introduction to MySQL course covers the basics of the SQL language as implemented by MySQL. The course is designed to give delegates practical experience in writing SQL statements using the MySQL client program and MySQL Workbench. The basic SQL statements, including the use of SQL functions and the basic table and view handling statements are introduced.
The delegate will learn and acquire skills as follows:
- Using client programs to access a MySQL database
- Creating, altering and dropping a MySQL database
- Writing SQL statements to select data from a MySQL database
- Writing joins and subqueries
- Using SQL expressions
- Using SQL aggregate functions and scalar functions
- Inserting, updating, deleting and replacing rows
- Creating and altering tables, indexes and views
- Using transactions
- Granting and revoking access privileges on tables and views
- Exporting and importing data
Anyone who needs to access and work with a MySQL Database.
To provide the skills needed to create and alter a MySQL database and query and modify data held within such a database.
Together with the MySQL for Developers course, this course covers the major topics required for the MySQL 5.6 Developer Certified Professional Exam(1Z0-882).
Together with theMySQL Database Administration course, this Introduction to MySQL course will teach the major topics required for the delegate to work towards achieving the MySQL 5.6 Database Administrator Certified Professional Exam(1Z0-883).
Before taking any exam, ensure you have the recommended experience. The Oracle website lists all exam requirements and these are updated regularly.
Exams are not included as part of the course.
There are no formal pre-requisites, although an understanding of databases and exposure to information technology in general would be useful.
- MySQL for Developers
- MySQL Database Administration
- PHP Programming & MySQL for Web Development
- Course technical content is subject to change without notice.
- Course content is structured as sessions, this does not strictly map to course timings. Concepts, content and practicals often span sessions.
Course Contents - DAY 1
- Administration and course materials
- Course structure and agenda
- Delegate and trainer introductions
Session 1: DATABASE CONCEPTS
- What is a database?
- Database management systems
- Tables, rows and columns
- Indexes, primary keys, unique constraints and foreign keys
- Client-Server architecture
- Supported data types
- Storage engines and table types
- The Information_Schema and MySQL Databases
- Exercise: Using a MySQL Database
Session 2: USING THE MySQL CLIENT
- What is the MySQL client?
- Getting started and Logging in
- Selecting a database
- Client commands
- Entering and executing SQL statements
- Retrieving previous commands
- Creating, editing and executing SQL files
- Redirecting output into a file
- Command line execution of MySQL Scripts
- Exercise: Using the MySQL Client
Session 3: BASIC SELECT
- The SQL SELECT statement
- Case sensitivity
- Statement terminator
- Syntax conventions
- The select clause
- The FROM clause
- Conditions and the WHERE clause
- Logical operators
- The ORDER BY clause
- Column aliases
- Arithmetic expressions
- Precedence of operators
- Exercises: Querying the sample database
Session 4: LIMIT, UNION AND AGGREGATE FUNCTIONS
- The LIMIT clause
- UNION ALL
- Aggregate functions
- The GROUP BY clause
- Using Rollup with GROUP BY
- The HAVING clause
- Exercises: Using Limit, Union and Aggregate Functions
Course Contents - DAY 2
Session 5: SUBQUERIES AND JOINS
- Cartesian products
- Joins with original syntax
- Table aliases
- Natural joins
- Join using
- Join on
- Multi-table joins
- Exercises: Using Subqueries and Joins
Session 6: NUMERIC AND CHARACTER FUNCTIONS
- Function types
- Testing functions
- Numeric functions
- Character functions
- Exercise: Using Numeric and Character Functions
Session 7: DATE, TIME AND OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Date and time column types
- Date and time formats
- The date format function
- Functions to return date time
- Functions to extract components from date time
- Date time arithmetic
- Miscellaneous functions
- Exercise: Using Date, Time and other functions
Course Contents - DAY 3
Session 8: DATABASES AND TABLES
- Creating a database
- Selecting a database
- Creating tables
- Show create table
- Column operations
- Constraint operations
- Copying tables
- Renaming tables
- Changing engine for tables
- Dropping tables
- Temporary tables
- Exercises: Maintaining databases and tables
Session 9: INDEXES AND VIEWS
- What is an index?
- Creating an index
- Reviewing indexes
- Dropping indexes
- What is a view?
- Creating views
- View restrictions
- Dropping views
- Exercise: Maintaining indexes and views
Session 10: MANAGING DATA
- Inserting rows
- Replacing rows
- Updating rows
- Deleting rows
- The truncate statement
- The COMMIT and ROLLBACK commands
- Implicit commits
- Exercise: Managing data
Session 11: ACCESS CONTROL
- Creating users
- Renaming users
- Dropping users
- Granting privileges
- Revoking privileges
- Exercise: Creating users, granting and revoking
Session 12: IMPORT AND EXPORT
- Exporting using SQL
- Importing using SQL
- Exporting from the command line
- Importing from the command line
- Exercise: Export and import data
StayAhead Training established 1992, is recognised as one of the leading independent IT Training specialists in the UK and the first choice provider for many of UK's largest organisations. Located in 7 training centres throughout the UK: London, Birmingham, Manchester,...
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Introduction to MySQL - In-house Training course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!
There are no reviews available yet.