Introduction to ProgrammingStayAhead Training
The Introduction to Programming course comprises sessions dealing with variables, expressions, conditional statements, collections, iterative statements, functions, objects, compilation and execution, and best practices.
Exercises and examples are used throughout the course to give practical hands-on experience with the techniques covered.
The delegate will learn and acquire skills as follows:
- Writing to reading from the console
- Declaring and initialising variables
- Constructing expressions
- Constructing conditional statements
- Working with arrays/lists
- Constructing iterative statements
- Declaring and invoking/calling functions
- Writing procedural programs
- Working with classes and objects
- Writing object oriented programs
- Compiling and executing code
This Introduction to Programming course is designed for those new to programming, who want to learn about the terminology, structures, and principles of programming generally.
This course aims to provide the delegate with the knowledge to be able to produce simple computer programs that demonstrate an understanding of the three core principles of programming - sequence, selection, and iteration. Delegates will also be exposed to functions, objects, and both procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms. The course further aims to prepare delegates to go on to learn any one of many programming languages in detail.
Delegates should be able to navigate the filesystem, edit a file, and browse the web. No programming experience is necessary.
- Java Programming 1
- Python Programming 1
- PHP Programming
- Ruby Programming
- Perl Programming
- Object Oriented Analysis & Design
- Course technical content is subject to change without notice.
- Course content is structured as sessions, this does not strictly map to course timings. Concepts, content and practicals often span sessions.
Course Contents - DAY 1
- Administration and Course Materials
- Course Structure and Agenda
- Delegate and Trainer Introductions
Session 1: INTRODUCTION
- Thinking Like a Computer
- What is a Program?
- What is Code?
- From Source Code to Runtime
- Why So Many Languages?
- What Does a Programmer Do?
- Hello World
- stdin and stdout
- The Console
Session 2: VARIABLES
- Variables - What and Why
- Name and Value
- Data Types
Session 3: EXPRESSIONS
- Expressions - What and Why
- Operators and Operands
- Unary and Binary Operators
- Arithmetic Operators
- Assignment Operators
- Complex Expressions
Course Contents - DAY 2
Session 4: CONDITIONAL STATEMENTS
- Conditional Statement - What and Why
- Comparison/Relational Operators
- Logical Operators
- if else
- The Ternary Operator
- Code Blocks
- Variable Scope
Session 5: COLLECTIONS
- Collections - What and Why
- Getting and Setting Elements
Session 6: ITERATIVE STATEMENTS
- Iterative Statements - What and Why
- Array/List Traversal
Session 7: FUNCTIONS
- Functions - What and Why
- Return Type
- Return Value
- Variable Scope (Review)
- Procedural Programming
Course Contents - DAY 3
Session 8: OBJECTS
- Object - What and Why
- Object Literals
- Object Properties
- The Trouble with Object Literals
- Reference Variables
- Primitive Variables
- Passing by Val/Ref
- Object Oriented Programming
- The Three Principles
Session 9: COMPILATION & EXECUTION
- From Source Code to Runtime (Review)
- Platform Dependence
- Compilation and Interpretation (Bytecode)
Session 10: BEST PRACTICES
- Program Design
- Stating the Problem
- Devising the Solution
- Coding Conventions
- White Space
- Coding Style
- Unit Testing
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
StayAhead Training established 1992, is recognised as one of the leading independent IT Training specialists in the UK and the first choice provider for many of UK's largest organisations. Located in 7 training centres throughout the UK: London, Birmingham, Manchester,...
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Find out more about this Introduction to Programming course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!
There are no reviews available yet.