Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Employment Law for Line Managers - 1-day course by CIPD training
This 1-day Employment Law for Line Managers course is designed to provide line managers with the knowledge and skills needed to effectively manage workplace issues in a confident and compliant manner.
The practical programme provides a comprehensive overview of the key areas of employment law and their implications for day-to-day situations in the workplace. By the end of the training, you will thus have the ability to:
- Understand the main principles of employment law
- Understand how employment law influences workplace decisions
- Address day-to-day scenarios according to legal best practice
- Resolve workplace issues in a fair, compliant manner
The course can also be tailored to organisational needs and delivered in-house for groups of staff.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for line managers or those with supervisory responsibilities who would like a better understanding of employment law. No prior knowledge of employment law is required.
Training Course Content
- the recruitment process - do's and don'ts
- the contract – offer, terms, clauses, express and implied terms
- immigration and vetting and barring
- references and medicals, what to be aware of
- pitfalls to avoid
- contractual issues
- employment status
- dealing with part-time, agency and fixed-term contract workers
Good working practices
- discrimination and protected characteristics
- direct and indirect discrimination
- harassment and bullying in the workplace
- compensation levels
- family matters - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave, flexible working requests
Difficult issues – a practical approach
- Short and long-term absenteeism
- poor performers
- email/internet/social media misuse
- misconduct in and out of work
- acting fairly and reasonably
Grievances and discipline
- what the law requires, the Acas Code of Practice, best practice, the right to be accompanied
- applying your organisation’s procedures
- what happens on appeal?
- what is wrongful, unfair and constructive dismissal?
- reasons for dismissal
- the cost of getting it wrong
- what are they?
- being a witness
- settling out of court.
- ACAS conciliation
- Settlement agreements
Course fees are as follows:
- Non-member: £545+ VAT
Member: £490 + VAT
This course can also be run in-house, where the content can be tailored to suit organisational needs, providing a cost-effective solution to group training needs.
Provider: CIPD Training
Shaping the future of the HR and L&D profession. The CIPD is championing better work and working lives, setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisational development. With more than 100 programmes, CIPD Training is one of the UK's...