This 2-year course for students aged 16-18 is designed to prepare you for employment in the public services, such as the fire service, police, armed forces or related civilian occupations or for entry to university. The college has close links with Isleworth Fire Station, which means you will have opportunities for ‘real’ public service training.
You will study:
- Government policies and the services
- Team leadership in the public services
- Citizenship in the public services
- Citizenship and diversity
- Fitness testing and training
- Understanding discipline
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle
- International institutions and human rights
- Understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Crime and its effects on society
- Command and control
- Responding to incidents
- Planning and management of major incidents
- Practical team sports
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Police powers
- Behaviour in public service employment.
This course consists of the 90-credit Diploma in Year 1 followed by the Extended Diploma in Year 2.
The college has close links with Isleworth Fire Station, which means you will have opportunities for ‘real’ public service training. The teachers on the course are from uniformed and emergency services background, andvisiting speakers from the industry will come into college to lecture and provide practical training sessions.
We recommend that all students doing our public service courses join a local cadet force (eg police cadets, sea cadets, air cadets, army cadets etc) which may then be used as your work experience option.
You will also take place in an annual residential.
Suitability - Who should attend?
At least 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C / grades 9-4, or a merit or distinction in a relevant subject at Level 2 with functional skills in English and maths.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
West Thames College Apprenticeships
Responsive - They are one of London's most innovative and responsive apprenticeship providers offering professional programmes in: Business ICT Accountancy Leadership & Management Health & Care Construction Catering Hair Beauty Motor Vehicle Logistics Automotive Clay Modelling. Innovative - Over the...
There are no reviews available yet.
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!