Digital SLR PhotographyNottingham Trent University
Digital SLR Photography
This beginners course is responding to the huge growth in ownership of digital SLR (DSLR) cameras and the increased demand for digital images for personal and commercial use.
The course is designed to take novice photographers and teach them the basic science, technology, craft and art of photography, and to develop the knowledge and skills to create technically sound, interesting and professional images.
You will move away from shooting with the camera in automatic mode and start using the various camera modes that enable you to take control of your images, creating work that is more personal.
The topics covered include:
- Choosing and buying your equipment
- What is a photograph and why take them?
- Constructed versus captured photography
- Making images: looking and seeing
- Shutter and shutter speed
- Subject lighting
- Digital developing and printing
- Outlets for your finished photograph such as sales or exhibiting.
The course will be a mixture of theory and practice.
There will inspiring projects that will explore artistic expression, reportage, commerciality, nature, people and community.
Further reading will be suggested to enhance your knowledge, reinforced by practical assignments.
These practical assignments will be reviewed regularly, and a learning community will be created on Flickr to help share your work with fellow students.
During this course you will:
- learn about contemporary digital photography today and current technology
- identify successful digital images and discuss the aesthetic qualities of your work and that of other students and professionals
- plan a photograph, from composition to digital printing
- work in different light situations to create successful images
- manually adjust focus, shutter speeds and exposure on your digital camera to produce effects
- create unique images on location and in the studio environment
- edit images using basic Photoshop functions
- promote your images online to others.
What will you gain?
The mix of art, craft, science, technology and practical advice makes this course very exciting and ideal for the enthusiastic amateur photographer.
The course would be of use to anyone wanting to improve their photography skills whether as a hobby or a gateway to further study or employment.
“This course gave me impetus I needed to get out of a rut and think about the full capabilities of my camera. I especially enjoyed being part of a group and being inspired by its members, as well as having the support and expertise of our tutor. I feel much more confident about my skills and I now enjoy photography even more.” AS
"This course is pitched at a good level - challenging but achievable. It has given me the confidence to progress further." LT
"A great tutor, who set a good atmosphere for learning whilst helping and encouraging each other." DD
Suitability - Who should attend?
Entry requirement: No experience is required.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Certificate of attendance.
Nottingham Trent University Creative, Language and Built Environment Short Courses One of the largest and most popular universities in the UK, Nottingham Trent University (NTU) provides beginners, improvers and professionals the opportunity to expand skills and knowledge by attending a short...
Average rating 5Based on 4 reviews
Find out more about this Digital SLR Photography course - simply fill out your details:
Are you curious about the L&D strategies of some of the U.K.'s top companies?
Find out what they're up to in findcourses.co.uk's second annual U.K. L&D Report!